Saturday, March 21, 2015

You are never too far to forget

Distance is just a number. I have been in all kinds of relationships, at least all the major ones. I have been a son, a friend, a brother and a lover.
I am sure we’ll agree that your home, where your parents live, always welcomes you with open arms. You may be in a different location for studies or job but every time you come back for a vacation it still feels the same. Countless kilometres of tiring journey never detaches you emotionally from your parents and that is kind of expected because family, we always take them for granted.
What actually amazed me about humans and human nature is that when a person apart from your family is not near you, we still remember that person and cherish their presence in our lives. That’s how some people touch our lives!
I recently met an old friend and it was one of the best days of my life. That meeting also taught me a few things about life. He was an old friend and a pretty close one when we were studying in school. Over the course of last few years, our interactions first reduced to monthly calls and gradually faded into yearly birthday calls. Although believe me, they used to be crazy long calls, almost stretching to 90 minutes and sometimes even more. Obviously cause we had so much to catch up! I had started to believe that whenever we meet next, ours would be a very strange and boring get-together. I was very sure that we would both run out of words in a couple of hours looking at the fact that we both were leading such different lives, exclusive of each other. But what happened actually was totally unexpected. It was one of the most unforgettable day of my life. From the moment I landed in his city and till the moment I boarded my train back, none of us kept mum for even a second. We discussed everything under the sun – right from our good old school days, our old classmates and the ice-cream seller outside the school to the state of politics in the country, Sunny Leone’s item song and the exciting start-up culture growing in India. We ate, drank, talked and roamed around the city and in the end, we found ourselves hungry for more. When I came back to my senses, I found myself standing at the door of the train, waving him goodbye. All of this, just like that!
The whole way back to my destination, I kept on thinking about what happened and how terribly wrong I was. As it turned out, we both always had mutual respect and admiration for each other. We cared for each other and accepted each other the way we are. Years of separation and kilometres of distance couldn't take that out from us and that’s what relationships are made of: RESPECT.
In order to summarize, I’d just say that respect the people in your life and stop taking people for granted. I have often seen people taking their family for granted and not having enough time for them. That’s not how life works, that’s actually how we kill our life.

In case you are leaving your city for a job and are looking for a house, go check out the listings on https://housing.com/. And once you have your house ready, make sure the people staying in it are valued and respected. In the end, all that your family expects from you is your time. So don’t disappoint them. Believe me, #together with the people whom you love, every other day is going to be memorable.

----------------------------------------------------

Playing in my head: "Baby Doll" from Ragini MMS 2

No comments: