Sunday, May 29, 2016

Book Review: The Oxford India Anthology of Twelve Modern Indian Poets by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra

The Oxford India Anthology of Twelve Modern Indian Poets by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra


Enhanced my knowledge about some of the great modern Indian poets, exactly as per the book title. I knew about some of them but the mini-biographies collected by Arvind were very precise and exactly as per requirement, neither more nor less.

Coming back to the book, it is exactly what i was expecting it to be. I was intrigued by the selected poems of Nissim Ezekiel, Arun Kolatkar and Agha Shahid Ali and was left hungry for more, pretty sure i am gonna spend the next few weeks reading more of their work and about their life. Not mentioning Dom Moraes here becuase i have already read (and loved) his selected poems collection which also has a very detailed and excellent introduction by Ranjit Hostoke. I am sure the other poets are also great in their league but were not exactly the type i love to read.

I am also interested to read the poems of Arvind Krishna Mehrotra now. I really liked this anthology curated by him and his perspective about these poets/poems.

No comments: