Monday, July 13, 2015

It is time to quit

I have been working for some 2.5 years now. I am still in the same company I started with and it is my 1st job, ever - the start of my career in the digital marketing industry. I still remember those times when I was searching for my first job desperately but without any luck. Suddenly, I think after 3 months of intense search and countless heartbreaks, I landed in this company with a job profile I had never even heard of before - Digital Marketing! And since that day, I have just been falling in love with what I do, day by day.

I still remember those initial days when I was trying to understand this landscape and what exactly was one supposed to do, the excitement and energy. For most of my time in this company, I have learned continuously, worked my ass-off till late nights and all the while loved my job. I met some extra-ordinary people, people just like us who made mistakes but yet came back strongly, every single fucking time. People who left an impression every single time you met them.

My company is or rather was a start-up and the initial learning was immense and I'll be forever thankful for this. But over the last 6 months or so, it has become very dull with no scope for any learning visible. A closer look at things also reveal that even though the learning was quite deep, it was actually very slow, too slow for such a fast-paced industry like digital. If I must believe the plans they have for me, I might get to learn another new vertical in the next year or so but I have started to realize that it'll still be too slow. My plans of being a 360 degree digital guy in 5 years (2.5 already gone) has started to look quite impossible now. This has compelled me to look out for a new job.

Honestly speaking, it isn't just learning that's bothering me. The office culture and atmosphere has also changed drastically in the last few months but that's for another day. For now, my emphasis is on learning and why it is important to change, change to a job with wider prospects in terms of learning if I have to meet the 5 year deadline. Hence, I'll have to let my emotional self aside and do the right thing from a career perspective. Let's hope I can find a job exactly like I am looking for soon before it is too late for that and I end up being a specific subject matter expert, forever! Having said that, this company will always remain special for me, no matter what happens tomorrow. I hope we continue to grow stronger every year, cheers to that!

------------------------------------------------

Playing in my head: 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Lynyrd Skynyrd

P.S: I am going home next week! Yaaaay!

No comments: